Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Am I Xenophobic or What?

We are fast coming up on the first anniversary of Lebanon II, next week I plan to post some of what I wrote in my journal way back when, so stay tuned for a painful stroll down memory lane.

Today, I sense the storm clouds of our next disaster in the making: Sudanese refugees have been crossing into Egypt, crossing the Sinai Desert and trickling over the border into our small country on the sunny shores of the Eastern Mediterranean.

Just go to Google and enter "Israel Sudan Refugees" and you'll see what I mean.

When it began earlier this year, it was just a handful of hearty souls that survived the trek across the hundreds of kilometers of Sinai desert. When they arrived in Israel, they were picked up by the army, detained for a while, had their pictures on the front page of the papers and were eventually granted asylum. Today, they are happily working in Eilat in the hotel industry while Sudanese refugee children are happily learning in the Israeli school system.

So what's the problem? Now that word has gotten back to the folks in the old country that this is a great place to be, the trickle of illegal border-crossers is becoming a steady stream. All of a sudden, we've gone from having 200 Sudanese refugees to over 2000 !

Unless we take decisive action now, within months we will be caring for 10's of thousands of these people. These are non-Islamic peoples being chased out of their country by marauding militias of Muslim countrymen and Arab instigators. Those fleeing find no sympathy in Egypt, who in turn point them to our border and tell them to try their luck with the Jews.

Once again, the Arab world creates a problem, and then lays it at the feet of the Jews, who are expected to solve it single-handedly. I say that Egypt as Sudans's nearest neighbor has two choices: Either send their army into Sudan to make it safe for the refugees to return, or set up refugee camps for them in some corner of Sinai. Heck, they've got plenty of room for it: At 61,000 km sq, the Sinai is almost triple the size of our small country on the sunny shores of the Eastern Mediterranean.

So what do you think. Am I behaving like a flaming Xenophobic? Leave a comment and let me know!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Personally I agree with you. So I guess I must be Xenophobic too.

(P.S. Did you know that Xenophobe was one of my vocabulary words in 10th grade?) :o)

Anonymous said...

I think I'm a member of your club, too.